Climate Action Plan
The Climate Action Planning Writing Group is pleased to present the AppCAP 1.0: A Vision for Climate Neutrality. Planned as a living document, the AppCAP 1.0 serves as a roadmap or blueprint to guide Appalachian State University towards climate neutrality.
AppCap 1.0 (Accesible version PDF, 12Mb)
AppCAP 1.0 Mitigation Strategy Assessment Tool
The AppCAP 1.0 Mitigation Strategy Assessment Tool is a tracking platform designed to provide up-to-date information for each of the 81 mitigation strategies introduced in the AppCAP 1.0. The tool also provides necessary transparency to the complex work behind climate action at Appalachian. With it, interested parties can see each strategy’s implementation schedule, current status, responsible party, climate and financial impact, and a sustainability assessment that focuses on the efficacy of the action with social justice, resiliency and the environment in mind.
Mitigation Strategy Assessment Tool ->
CAP Timeline ->
Greenhouse Gas Table: SIMAP
The following is the greenhouse gas inventory for Appalachian State, beginning in 2005.
Table located in Supporting Documents ->
13 groups worked on the AppCAP 1.0, each focusing on the CAP through the lens of their topic. These groups were a combination of Sustainability Council sub-committees and Climate Action Plan-specific interest areas. In addition to members who are experts in each area, each group had at least one representative from SGA, REI, Office of Sustainability, RIEE, Faculty Senate, Staff Senate, Climate Action Collaborative. Groups assessed the impact of each area as it relates to the carbon footprint of the University, imagined mitigation strategies, offered efficiency gains, and investigated sourcing of lower- carbon alternatives.
Climate Action Plan working groups
Climate Action Plan Writing Working Group
- Focus — drafting the 2020 Climate Action Plan.
- Focus — identifying and evaluating carbon reduction strategies for campus-based heating.
- Focus — identifying and evaluating carbon reduction strategies for campus-based electricity.
- Focus — identifying and evaluating carbon reduction strategies for university-based transportation.
- Focus — identifying and evaluating curricular opportunities to support climate action.
Education and Outreach
- Focus — developing a communication and marketing plan.
- Focus — identifying and evaluating social and ethical ramifications of proposed mitigation strategies.
- Focus — identifying and evaluating environmental ramifications of proposed mitigation strategies.
- Focus — long-term localized ability to adapt to change.
- Focus — identifying and evaluating unaccounted-for carbon impacts of purchased goods.
- Focus — identifying and evaluating environmentally preferable purchasing guidelines.
University Food Systems
- Focus — identifying and evaluating carbon associated with Campus Dining services.
- Focus — identifying and evaluating campus waste diversion and reduction opportunities.