Appalachian State University is a Pilot and Charter participant in the Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System™ (STARS) — a transparent, self-reporting framework for colleges and universities to measure their sustainability performance.
- In May 2012, Appalachian received an initial Gold rating
- Gold status was renewed in the June of 2015, making Appalachian the second-highest rated university to date (score of 77.24). This score is valid for three years.
- Gold status renewed in April 2019.
STARS® is a sustainability focused system, addressing social and economic factors as well as environmental factors.
Universities submit self-reported scores related to 17 categories.
App State achieved:
- 37.33 of 40 points in the academics (curriculum) category.
- 19.25 of 21 points in campus engagement.