Social Justice Collaborative
Charge and Environmental Recognition
As stated in our Mission, Appalachian State University is dedicated to preparing students to lead purposeful lives as engaged global citizens who understand their responsibilities in creating a sustainable future for all. The university strives to educate and develop students that think critically, communicate effectively, make local to global connections, and understand the responsibilities of community engagement. Further, the university recognizes its obligation to create healthy, just and sustainable societies by equipping its students to live with knowledge, compassion, dedication, humility, and dignity. These values and objectives are central to the purpose and identity of Appalachian State University.
Several initiatives on campus are already established and ongoing, although loosely connected. In recognition of the university's mission and in a time of increasing social challenges, the goal of this project is to establish the Social Justice Collaborative as a body that will spotlight issues touched upon by others and serve to amplify their voices. This will be accomplished by lending support and collaboration to students, faculty, and agencies on and off campus that have interest in or are doing work in areas related to social justice and human rights. Sponsored by Academic Affairs, the Social Justice Collaborative will serve as an umbrella, or bridge, for all such efforts in social justice and human rights. The Collaborative will sponsor and provide support to increase awareness, facilitate sharing, collaboration, and communication.
The Social Justice Collaborative promotes and celebrates teaching, scholarship, creative activity, and professional and community service related to social justice and human rights. We enact Appalachian State University's commitment to help create healthy, just and sustainable societies, and advance UNC's mission to contribute to the solution of societal problems and enrich the quality of life in the state, region, and world.
- Social and Economic Justice
- Human Rights, Equality, and Equity
- Healthy Communities
- Sustainable Environment
The objectives of the Social Justice Collaborative are to:
- Establish an organizational structure for social justice and human rights on campus that will elevate and communicate the significance of social justice and human rights issues through education, scholarship and creativity, and outreach.
- Serve as a hub and a conduit for bringing faculty, students, staff and the community together for exploration, education, discussion, research, and collaboration on issues of social justice and human rights.
- Encourage and promote scholarship and creative activities from cross-disciplinary perspectives on social justice and human rights issues.
- Prepare students to incorporate social justice and human rights in their professional and personal lives.
- Provide opportunities for partnering with community agencies to give a stronger voice to the work they do on social justice issues and, where possible, to assist them in that work.
If you're interested in the Social Justice Collaborative, please fill out the Social Justice Collaborative Interest Form.
Contact: Kathy Ray (firstname.lastname@example.org) SJC Chair: Rachel Fleming (email@example.com)
Budget Officer and Lead Librarian for Acquisitions, Belk Library and Information Commons
Appalachian State University, Boone, NC 28608