- Energy Summit
- Guiding Commitments
- Office of Sustainability
- Sustainability Council
- Sustainability Mission
- Sustainable Strides
- Student Initiatives
- Campus Initiatives
- Green Spotlights
- Town and Gown
- The Outdoors
- 2013 Film Series
- Appalachian by the numbers
- My Footprint
- Renewable Energy
Appalachian Energy Summit
The Appalachian Energy Summit is the annual gathering of the University of North Carolina Energy Leadership Challenge. Through this initiative, campus leaders from across higher education in North Carolina share goals to reduce energy expenditures, transform energy utilization and reduce the environmental impacts of both higher education and the state.
The summit has many goals associated with the successful staging of the event; however, its true success will be measured over the years with the following long-term goals in mind:
- Educate our students to be the leaders of tomorrow through our active and demonstrative pursuit of the initiative's goals.
- Reduce and stabilize the university's average annual energy expenditures, currently equaling $1,000 per student. Target costs associated with the university's rising annual $226 million expenditure on energy. Focus on initiatives that will cumulatively save the university system in excess of $1 billion over 20 years.
- Transform and stimulate the North Carolina economy through the support of Green Energy business infrastructure, creating jobs in the new energy economy.
- Position the University of North Carolina system and our Private university colleagues as national leaders in sustainability education and for reducing reliance on environmentally damaging fossil fuels.
- Create a culture of environmental and economic sustainability across the UNC system through administrative leadership, student involvement, curricula development, campus operations, and new partnerships between the university, its benefactors, and industry.
The Appalachian Energy Summit Mid-Year Meeting will take place February 25, 2014 in the Proctor Building at N.C. A&T State University.
The 2014 Appalachian Energy Summit will take place July 28-30, 2014 at Appalachian State University.
Click here for the results of the 2013 Appalachian Energy Summit Exit Survey
96% of the 2013 Appalachian Energy Summit participants said they would
return for the 2014 Appalachian Energy Summit.